Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tonight's wine - Lone Canary Bird House Red

One of my colleagues at work is fortunate (?!) enough to have been born into a family that now owns one of the premier vineyards in the state -- along with a top notch winery. Thanks to him, we've become acquainted with them -- and know that whenever we see a wine made from their grapes, there's a good chance it's going to be good. After all, in order to make great wine, you've got to start with great grapes.

The vineyard in question is DeBrul vineyard -- and although tonight's wine wasn't completely sourced from there, since it's a weekday, after all, my quest for a DeBrul wine led me to tonight's bottle.

I was looking for the 2004 DeBrul Vineyard Reserve from Lone Canary Winery (http://www.lonecanary.com/techsheets/04DuBrul.pdf), which a mutual friend had discovered. It's an award winning blend of Merlot & Cabernet Sauvingon made & bottled by Lone Canary, which is clear on the other side of the state in Spokane. My quest led me to Malt & Vine (www.maltandvine.com <http://www.maltandvine.com/> ) here in Redmond, which has a wide selection of Lone Canary wines, including a couple of bottles of the DeBrul, which I bought.

I also found, in their "under $20" rack, a bottle of the Lone Canary "Bird House Red", an American style blend of Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sangiovese. These days, I like pretty much anything with Syrah & Sangiovese in it (and this one is 16% sourced from DeBrul...), and so I decided to pick this up to have with dinner. I wasn't disappointed -- a nice nose with hints of berry and chocolate, with a spicy/smoky finish that I've come to love. It went along really well with the Braised Pork Belly I had waiting in the fridge (I finished the belly with a nice sear before serving, so maybe it was a Seared Braised Pork Belly?).

Anyway, I went looking for one DeBrul sourced weekend wine -- and found an outstanding table wine too.

1 comment:

sgaskins said...

I really enjoyed the Bird House Red and the DuBrul Reserve is fantastic!